CHS Tutoring

CHS has a couple of tutoring options for students who may be struggling with their classes, including the National Honor Society Tutors and Spanish Tutors.

The National Honor Society has been directly reaching out to people who need help and holding meetings in the Learning Center.

Most volunteers go to the Learning Center whenever they have a free period, however, because of students’ schedules, it’s difficult to have consistent times for tutors to come in. But Assistant Principal and Student Success Coordinator, Brad Horner, who has been organizing the NHS tutor program, is trying to get “more consistent tutoring for next semester.”

Some of the members of the National Honor Society think that the program seems to be failing, as many people haven’t come in for tutoring.

“Students were present in the learning center if someone came looking for help,” but “currently I don’t believe we have any volunteers in the learning center. Very few students seemed interested in getting help, so there is currently not anybody volunteering, I believe,” NHS president, Jackson Davidson said.

However, Mr. Horner has a positive outlook on tutoring. He thinks “it has been going well” and is looking for ways to be more successful in the future. He has only held this position for a year but has been working in education for 14 years and is getting over the “learning curve,” which may contribute to more success in the coming semester.

Spanish students at CHS have also reached out and offered help for students who are struggling. The Spanish tutoring is a student-organized program, led by senior Ella Seevers, who found tutors and has reached out to Spanish students herself.

“Right now we have 14 kids who volunteered, but we might work on getting a few more, because in 5th period we have no volunteers and 7th period we have like four, so I want to help even it out,” Seevers said.

Seevers also organized a Google Form for Spanish I and II students to easily sign up for tutoring. She has also “been working on going to the classes, in person, and talking to them.”  These google forms have been out for two or three weeks and are available for any Spanish I or II student who wants tutoring.

Tutors are flexible and don’t have a designated place to meet, so they allow the students to choose when and where they would like to meet.

“We haven’t had too many people yet, because we just started, but for the people we’ve had, it’s been really great,” Seevers said.