HOSA At State

More Kids Than Ever Before Making State

Photo Courtesy of Paul DeStefano

Conifer HOSA proudly poses in front of Conifer High School.

75 Conifer High School students have qualified for HOSA’s State Leadership Conference over the past two weeks. HOSA, a club for students wanting to delve deeper into the medical world, had qualifying tests last week.

Students who qualify for State have the opportunity to attend and compete in the state-wide competition held in Denver, during the last week of February. The contest is a way for students to show what they have learned and meet medical professionals. Events range from having 20 to 200 students and Conifer High students almost always place in the top ten.

“I mean it’s a nice opportunity because I can show my skills and show that I was able to accomplish something and I’m able to execute it,” freshman Fallon Sites, said.

Those planning on attending state had a mandatory meeting on the night of Wednesday, January 22, to learn details about the event such as location, the schedule, and costs. During the meeting, the benefits of attending the competition were also explained to parents and students.

“This is something that would definitely set them up for college and colleges do look for this for previous medical experience, and it just builds their experience in the medical field,” HOSA officer, junior Paul DeStefano, said.

The event is one that makes a difference in student’s lives and is something that they can look back on and remember as being an enjoyable thing to participate in.

“It is a very fun experience. It’s great to get to know students if they’re not in sports, or even if they are, if they want to learn, if they want to meet some new people and make some more acquaintances it would be great, and then it also helps them in a lot of their science related activities,” DeStefano said.

The club has proven their dedication and their passion once again as they prepare to represent Conifer High School at the State Leadership Conference.