CHS Today

The Voice of Conifer High School

CHS Today

CHS Today

Winter Formal Returning For Good?

The Winter Formal returns for 2024, though questions remain as to whether it will return again.
Kanin Cadam
Students dance to the music of the various artists during the Winter Formal. The DJ was the same one who DJ’d Homecoming and the music selection ranged from quiet, to pop, to rock anthems. “I really enjoyed how the bottom floor was really quiet, the dance floor was intense, and the top floor was still loud but not too loud.” Dalby said.

On January 20th, the CHS student government, in collaboration with DECA, threw a Winter Formal following a hiatus caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. This hiatus lasted from 2021 to 2023, and it was only after a focused effort by the student government that the Winter Formal would return. 

“We weren’t going to do one this year either,” Student Body President Miles Garrison said. “But I figured that sophomores and freshmen would want a second dance.”

Although any student can attend the Winter Formal, the event was created as an event for Underclassmen who do not have a yearly dance to attend besides Homecoming where Upperclassmen have a prom.

The Winter Formal, which was held at the Marshdale barn and ran from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM, was expected to sell 80-100 tickets but exceeded this estimate with total ticket sales numbering around 180, nearly double the estimated amount.

“I would be excited to go to another Winter Formal,” Sophomore Aidan Dalby said. “If my girlfriend hadn’t asked me to go I would be skiing.”

The poster design was used to inform students of the dance. The Winter Formal included a DJ, Crumbl Cookies, and several games including Ring Toss and Cornhole. The inclusion of all of these elements in addition to the cost of renting out the venue costs around a few thousand dollars. “We haven’t had a Winter Formal in a while but in the past it has always been held at the Marshdale barn,” Student Government advisor Owen Volzke said.

The next Winter Formal is currently planned for 2025, with the student government being emboldened by the success of this year’s event. Now, they are focused on preparations for events such as prom and next year’s homecoming before any work will be done on the next Winter Formal.

“I think I would have to do some reflection afterward to see whether it’s worth the time and effort on the part of the student government with all the other things we are trying to run,” Volzke said.