Panthers take down Lobos

Pomona bests Conifer in the first boys basketball game of the season

Boys basketball is underway for the shortened 2021 season.

The Conifer High School boys basketball team took on the Pomona High School Panthers on Tuesday, January 26, and Pomona High School. 

This game was the first game of the season for the Conifer boys basketball team. With Covid-19 creating an uncertainty with athletics, the team was excited when CHASA gave the okay for the season. Everything for this season looks different due to the pandemic. 

“Practices are definitely different. We have to wear a mask the whole time,” junior varsity player, Aiden Elliot, said. “We have to break huddles away from each other and no high-fives.”

Players are thrilled that they are still able to play against other schools. Pomona is one of Conifer’s biggest rivals, so to have Pomona be the first game of the season led to high pressure for the team. Some of the players want to work on team bonding, as it has been affected due to Covid. There are hopes that with a stronger team bond, they boys will play strongly as a team.

“Practices are very similar to last year but we are doing more stuff with jv and varsity mixed…” Elliot said. “Team bonding isn’t too hard but it is a little different with new plays.” 

At the start of the season, many athletes set up goals for themselves and the team. This year the team goal for the Conifer boys is to make the state playoffs for the fourth year in a row. 

Many of the athletes have goals that they work for themselves, whether it’s new skills or getting recruited by colleges. 

“I want to improve my game as much as possible, if that means making more layups or practicing my dribbling,” Elliot said.

The final score for the game was 52-17, giving Pomona the win. While the team lost their first game, the Conifer boys plan on coming back strong. The Conifer boys basketball team is set to play next on Thursday, January 28, against Englewood High School. The game will be at Conifer High School.

“…we have a solid team and we have good chemistry,” Elliot said. “Anything can happen.”