Bring on the Music

2022-2023 Music in our schools week raises funds, introduces students to school music programs

Finn

Senior Ethan Fox plays the piano the music department brought out to the commons for Music in our Schools week. “My favorite thing about being in the club and all the events we do is the interactions I get with other students, and younger people, as well as hearing about their interests in music,” Fox said.

Music in Our Schools Week took place March 27-31. It was a spirit week ran by the school’s music department, including days where students would wear their favorite band shirt or dress as a music genre. It’s also based off of the more widely used and recognized Music in Our Schools Month.

“We did this to help further bring music into our school and community,” senior and club historian, Marne Kasperbauer said, “I think it helped educate other students about the music program, too.”

The school raised money throughout the week. That money went directly to the program itself, to help pay for more projects and fund classes and other musical activities, like marching band. The club hosted this week last year as well, and made edits this year to further improve the event.

“We went through each day of the week, what worked last year and what didn’t. From there, we chose the activities that were successful and reimagined the ones that weren’t,” president, Carley Getz said. “For example, the piano in the commons went really well so we left it out the entire week for people to play.”

The members who weren’t directly involved still found ways to interact with the events and help the program in different ways.

“I made sure to include myself in the events by joining in the fun. I also wanted to ensure other people felt it was okay for them to do it as well and hopefully seeing me participate helped that,” senior Ethan Fox said.