Girls Volleyball To Hold Fundraiser Following Player’s House Fire

Girls Volleyball has planned a fundraiser for this Saturday, March 4, following a fire which burned down a team member’s home.

Conifer Girls Volleyball

The fundraiser (poster above) was initially planned prior to the fire, but the focus shifted following January 30. The theme for the tournament is “Hawaiian” and the team hopes to raise 500 to 1000 dollars for the Fiery family. “My main goal for the fundraiser is to raise awareness for Daisy’s GoFundMe,” Laurie said.

On January 30, a fire started in the home of Conifer sophomore, Daisy Fiery. Daisy’s family believe the flames began around 1:30 a.m. as a result of their chimney catching fire, much of their house was destroyed. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

Fiery is part of the Level 3 Conifer Girls Volleyball team, and therefore the program has organized a fundraiser volleyball tournament to raise money for the Fiery family.

“We wanted to do something as a program,” Head Coach Eddy Laurie said. “We wanted to do something to help her family.”

The event is expected to include food and drink, and will have teams of all ages competing. The fundraiser is Hawaiian themed and will include authentic Hawaiian food as well as music and entertainment for anyone who comes.

“I think it’s really sweet of my team and my coach to try and help,” Daisy said. “Coach Laurie’s always been really motivated for these types of things.”

The Girls Volleyball program began to set up the tournament almost immediately following the fire. “Losing a house sucks, I would know from personal experience,” sophomore Isabelle Gardiner said. “I honestly hope it goes really well for them.” (Patrick Doty)

The tournament is scheduled for tomorrow, March 4, in the Conifer High School Gym. It is planned to run from 1-6 p.m. Admission for spectators is 10 dollars while teams must pay a 100 dollar entry fee.  Teams are open to anyone, student or otherwise, wishing to participate.

“Anyone is invited to play,” Daisy said. “And everyone is encouraged to donate.”

Teams can register using this link and additional money can be donated to the Fiery family’s GoFundMe.