Conifer Takes on Alameda

Lobos vs. Pirates

Graciela Fischer

Junior Marina Cadilli attacks the ball. Conifer played with a strong offense against Alameda. “To the seniors, I would say thank you,” Cadilli said. “We have had so much fun on and off the court. This team is really a family.”

The Conifer girls volleyball team gathered in the gym to take on the Alameda Pirates on Tuesday, April 20. As crowds cheered, teammates hugged, and deep breaths were taken the team got ready to play.

However, while excitement filled the air, it was also a bittersweet moment for the girls. Tuesday was senior game night, and most of the senior girls on the team have been playing since their freshman year. This year, the volleyball team had seven seniors: Elena Eddy, Faith Hemerley, Riella Curtis, Sydney Reinoehl, Tatum Coffey, Megan Coffey, and Kassandra Constantino.

“I came in on varsity as a freshman, so I have been able to watch this team grow and see the program change a lot,” senior Eddy said. “I think this year, more than any other, we’ve had the best teamwork. We have a great team and a hard-working mentality.”

Before the game started, the team acknowledged the seniors. They received gifts and the head coach, Laurie Eddy, made a speech about each senior. While graduating is a very exciting time, it’s also filled with sadness as the seniors say goodbye to their last high school season.

“This group of kids is just amazing, and a coach can coach for a long time before they get a team like this. Every one of them is just amazing on and off the court,” Coach Eddy said. “I just want to see where the seniors are going, because they are going places. I care deeply about each one of them, especially since I’ve known them since they were so young.”

Several of the players think there’s been a tremendous amount of improvement in their skills.

“It’s been great. I’m a first-time varsity player, so it’s been quite the experience being with more experienced players. Everyone has been really nice and very supportive, and it’s been so much fun,” senior Curtis said. “I’m a setter, and I feel like my setting has gotten much better since the beginning of the season.”

The team played hard on Tuesday, winning the game with the best three out of five. The last home game for the volleyball team will be on Saturday, April 24, at 6:30. They will be playing Green Mountain High School.

“We have crazy good potential,”Coach Eddy said. “Had it been a normal season we would have been first or second in our league, I have no doubt about that. I’m sad that we had to have such a weird year this year, but I am not ever going to be sad for getting the chance to coach these girls.”