Changing the Essay

The Deadline Approaches For The SAT Essay

The SAT essay sign up deadline for Colorado is quickly approaching. After February 18th, Colorado students will no longer be able to apply to take the optional SAT essay.

The SAT essay, although required within Colorado, can be taken at the student’s request. Some students may opt to take the essay due to some colleges recommending or requiring the essay component of the SAT.

“The SAT Essay lets you practice your skills and gives you a chance to show colleges that you’re ready for college-level writing assignments,” College Board says.

The essay shows students how good they are at understanding passages and using it to write a well thought-out essay. However, College Board stated that they will be discontinuing the optional essay in an update sent to educators.

“Students can take the SAT with Essay through the June 2021 SAT administration,” College Board said, “After June 2021, the Essay will only be available in states where it’s required for SAT School Day administrations for accountability purposes.”

Students displayed their reading, analysis, and writing skills through the essay. The College Board maintains that students still have other options to demonstrate their essay writing capabilities.

“Writing remains essential to college readiness, and the SAT will continue to measure writing and editing skills,” College Board says, “The tasks on the SAT Reading and Writing and Language tests are among the most efficient and predictive parts of the SAT.”

Students wanting to sign up for the essay should reach out to their counselors before the deadline. The application can be filled out online at College Board’s website or by calling the Colorado College Board helpline.

“We recommend having interested students update their registration during the school day so that you can assist if they have a problem,” College Board said.

Among the changes to the essay, the College Board is also making changes to the SAT and are removing SAT subject tests. College Board has recognized that this may make some educators’ jobs harder and has offered their support.

“We’re here to help you navigate the ever-changing landscape and will continue to support you through these uncertain times,” College Board said, “We’ll reach out directly to students registered for SAT Subject Tests and the SAT with Essay to inform them of these changes in the coming days and provide support and resources for our K–12 and higher education members.”