Conifer vs. Englewood

Girls Basketball takes on Englewood

Ella Johnson

Sophomore Maya Dawson warms up prior to the game

The Conifer High School girls basketball team faced off against the Englewood High School Pirates on Thursday, January 28, at Conifer High School.

This was the second game of the season for the girls basketball team, and the first home game for Conifer. Players were thrilled with the opportunity to still have home games, and many couldn’t wait for the first home game of the season.

“We’re off to a rocky start for the season, but our top three scorers graduated last year, so we’re really building from ground zero, and we are doing well all things considered,” sophomore player, Maya Dawson, said. “The team is still getting comfortable with our plays and getting where we need to be when we need to be there, but it’s really helpful to have knowledgeable team captains that can help direct the players that are new to varsity.”

The Conifer team faced some challenges against Englewood’s strong defense. However, the Lobos kept the score close throughout the whole game. Both teams had a strong defense and both came wanting to win, which was seen on the court.

“This game we struggled with being strong on the ball and rushing the play of the game,” junior player, Anastasia Satchell, said. “I just came back from an ankle injury so I was just happy to be back.”

Conifer played a close game, with impressive scores from senior Emma Mead and junior Anastasia Satchell. Conifer showed that they have the skills it takes to beat teams.

“This game we are getting better at communicating and just understanding each other,” Satchell said. “Some goals that I want to work on as a team is continuing to improve on our confidence on the ball and finishing.”

The final score for the game was 36-27, giving Englewood the win. Some players are taking this loss as a time to reflect with what they want as a team, and for many that is team bonding.

“As a team I want to get closer,” Dawson said. “Girls who have never played before, JV girls, and last year’s varsity players have all been thrown together in this melting pot that is our team this year.”

The Lady Lobos are scheduled to play this upcoming Monday, February 1st, at Conifer. The game will be against Green Mountain High School. The team will be prepping for their next game by watching footage from this game

“We are improving everyday,” Satchell said. “As a team we are learning how we all play together and how our chemistry works on the court.”