Conifer vs. Pomona

First girls basketball game of the season

Courtesy of Maya Dawson

Members of the girls varsity basketball team head out for their first game of the season against Pomona.

The Conifer High School girls basketball team took on the Pomona High School Panthers on Tuesday, January 26, at Pomona High School.

This game kicked off the varsity basketball season and, with the uncertainty of Covid, many of the players are just happy to be able to play their sport. Of course, with Covid comes many precautions both at practice and during games.

“We have to wear masks for the entire practice, which makes breathing hard, and Covid has made the season much shorter. I’m excited we get to play,” said Senior Emma Mead, an athlete on the varsity team.

The team first faced a challenging start but are remaining optimistic and hopeful about the rest of the season.

“We had a rough start,” said Junior Olivia Sinnett, “final score was 62-10. We gave it a good effort and I’m really proud of our team as far as first games go. Iz Namasky hit a 3 pointer right off the bat in the first quarter which really brought up our hype and energy.”

To kick off the season and boost morale, many team members set personal goals that they can work towards during their games and practices.

“Since I’m playing varsity now, I’d love to get some more shots up and just step up as a teammate to better the team,” said Sinnett.

The next girls varsity home basketball game is on Thursday, January 28th, against the Englewood High School Pirates. 

“I’m hoping for this season to be our comeback season,” Sinnett said. “Our team had some big difficulties and I’d love to see us win or at least go down fighting.”