Learning In a Natural Disaster

Destroyed at home and devastated at what’s outside, students in Southern Texas return to school dealing with the havoc Hurricane Harvey wreaked on not only their homes, but their places of learning as well. Whether a kindergartner, high schooler, or college student, kids from all across Southern Texas are battling the aftermath of this natural disaster.

The path of learning is shifting for many students as the hurricane dissipates. Many were unable to retake their SAT on August 26, as the CollegeBoard canceled 138 of the testing locations during Harvey’s high point.    

In the instance of a natural disaster for a community like ours, there isn’t too much to consider besides a forest fire, but natural disasters all across the country can impact our students.

None of our most recent graduating class are attending any campuses in affected areas, and to any prospective students in this years graduating class, “It’s too early to tell at this point, but I don’t think that it will have much effect.” Conifer High Counselor Joey Wilson said in reference to applying to college in Southern Texas. We are lucky for none of our students have been or will be affected by the natural disaster. Many higher level education systems will be working with any students or potential students to guarantee a suitable learning environment and opportunities; whether this means financial assistance or extensions.

On top of the worries of testing and preparing for college, many students are worrying about where they will be attending school. While some schools are still being used as shelters and hubs for disaster relief, places like Kingwood High and Summer Creek High in Kingwood, Texas are combining into one campus while damages are being repaired.

“Moving all of Kingwood High School to our sister campus Summer Creek High School would be in the best interest of all students.” said Kingwood High’s Principal Ted Landry in an open letter on September 2. The influx of students is creating many problems, like schedule conflicts, transportation, limited room and staff, but is showcasing what communities and students can come together and do in times of crisis.