“Pippin” Pulling into Conifer

Pippins music and lyrics are by Stephen Schwartz and the book is by Roger O. Hirson.

From uplifting group numbers to heart-wrenching solo performances, musicals have always been a fundamental piece of the arts. While musicals range from the hip-hop-infused “Hamilton” to the beyond-emotional “Les Miserables,” “Pippin” will soon be taking over Conifer with a combination of those elements.

In November, the drama department held auditions for Conifer’s winter musical, “Pippin.” Succeeding last year’s spring performance, “Once on This Island,” this musical will incorporate many new students as well as the direction of new drama teacher, Jo Gerlick. Students hope to improve in various areas, from acting style to memorization.

“I feel like it’s going to be a good show this year, because we have a lot of talent in the school, and we have good instructors,” sophomore Lillian Brinkman said. “I feel like the one thing that could probably be worked on is learning lines faster.”

“Pippin” tells the story of a young prince who seeks adventure and purpose in his life. In order to achieve this as well as prove his loyalty to his father, King Charles, Pippin goes off to war. Drama ensues as Pippin grows more and more power-hungry and his character transforms.

The first play of the year, “The Importance of Being Earnest,” went excellently under Gerlick’s lead, and the upcoming musical is likely to follow a similar pattern.

“Some days, their energy is just all over the place, and that’s just something that we’ve got to deal with,” Gerlick said. “But ultimately I actually prefer working with students rather than adults. There’s so much more respect that you can gain from working with students, especially up here working at this school, so I’ve been enjoying it quite a lot.”