Conifer’s‌ ‌Take‌ ‌on‌ ‌Halloween‌

Riley Hyatt

“We typically have lots of activities at this event, and COVID changed all of that. This year we are easing back into having a traditional Trunk or Treat where students can walk around and visit each trunk,” West Jefferson Elementary School PTA secretary, Jaime Davis, said.

Conifer has a wide variety of Halloween events coming up.  Many kids aren’t able to go trick or treating around Conifer because it’s hard for children to walk up and down mountains all night in the cold.  However, schools such as West Jefferson Elementary and Conifer High School are working on creating the trick-or-treating experience for their communities.

“The purpose is to hold a community event that gives back to the kids in our community and to have fun,” Assistant Principal and Activities Director, Cassie Alley, said.

This year’s Trick or Treat Street will include 12 different clubs that will set up and decorate booths.

“It’s important to support all the kids in the community to make Conifer a tight-knit community and bring people together, and the Trick or Treat Street gives kids the opportunity to trick or treat when they can’t otherwise,” sophomore, Manzer, said.

Manzer recognizes the importance of these holiday activities, as she has two younger siblings who come to the trick-or-treat events.

Conifer High School’s Trick or Treat Street will take place in the senior lot next Wednesday, October 27th, from 6:30 to 8:00.  Other crafts and activities will be available for kids. The clubs that are participating will be setting up and decorating themed booths. HOSA has a mad scientist theme this year.

“We will be decorating the table with beakers, jars, cauldrons with dry ice, and, of course, Mr. Bojangles,” HOSA leader, Sophie Morris, said, referring to the club’s life-sized model skeleton.

Another upcoming event is West Jefferson Elementary School’s Trunk or Treat.  On October 29 from 6:00 to 8:00, trick or treaters will be able to go from trunk to trunk collecting candy.  Various decorations and activities will be seen, and trunks will be decorated with different themes.

“We do plan to have firefighters and a fire truck there, Batman and his Batmobile, and Switch Witch, where the students switch out their candy for a non-edible prize. We also plan to have a hot beverage concession stand along with a food truck,” PTA Secretary, Jaime Davis, said.

Both the CHS Trick or Treat Street and the West Jefferson Elementary Trunk or Treat give the Halloween experience to kids by creating a walk-through version of trick-or-treating that is more age and time friendly.

“The mountain area trick-or-treating can be challenging in most ‘neighborhoods’ due to the house lot sizes and steep driveways,” Davis, said. “Some years it can be really cold, but that usually doesn’t stop families from coming to our event as we offer warm beverages and it’s a quick walk-through event.”