Reece Miller: A Reminder to Live

Reece Miller is an energetic and happy sophomore at Conifer High School. However, despite her spirited demeanor, Miller was diagnosed with neuroblastoma when she was six months old.

Neuroblastoma is a rare type of cancer linked to specific gene mutations. Tumors can form in the chest, causing breathing problems, or on the spinal cord, causing weakness and inability to walk. Neuroblastoma affects an estimated 650 Americans every year.

Miller’s tumor formed behind one of her lungs, but her only symptom was a fever. The doctors had what Miller describes as a “funny feeling,” so she was brought in for x-rays.

I kind of feel obligated to do something good with my life. I feel like I have a different perspective from most kids. I’ve been raised to live in the moment, and live every day to the fullest.

— Reece Miller

Fortunately, Miller’s cancer was discovered in time to save her life, and the tumor was removed without chemotherapy.

Today she is alive and healthy, playing lacrosse and excelling as an honors student.

“It’s the hardest thing a parent can go through,” said her father, Tony Miller. “Losing Reece would have been devastating.”

Miller’s parents have raised her to appreciate life more because of this experience.

“I kind of feel obligated to do something good with my life. I feel like I have a different perspective from most kids,” said Miller. “I’ve been raised to live in the moment, and live every day to the fullest.”